Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Doomsday - Rehearsals #1

So this is the 14th production the First Light Players has staged since they began in 2003. Pretty amazing accomplishment, I think. Of those, this will be the 6th that I've written for them (not counting the fact we've staged "The 6th Trumpet" twice). And it is the 10th time I've been on stage with them. Generally, rehearsals can be a gruelling process. But I've got to say, rehearsals for Doomsday have been anything but. Seriously. I am completely amazed!

Every single production I've been a part of has each had their own "personality" about it. From the first production we did, "A Neighborhood Noel" with it's communal, almost church atmosphere about it -- to the last production, "Cotton Alley", that was entirely visceral, a true actor's dream -- when you begin the rehearsal process, it's like the first day of school. Who are these actors you'll be sharing the stage with? Will you get along with them? Who's the diva and will try to direct the director? Oh, let me tell you the stories. Cathy cracks me up in her ability to "handle" divas. She has a gift. Truly.

But as we've gotten through blocking, the technical aspect of rehearsals (showing the actors where they are to move on stage for you novices), and we move into developing our characters, rehearsals ahev gone so fast and so well! Plus, this group is a lot of fun. Usually it takes until about the 3rd week before the cast starts to feel comfortable with each other, but this group seems like old friends already. Regulars among us are Trista (4th production), Olivia (9th production, and she wrote 2 and directed the last one), Kay (13th) and Ross (3rd). Newbies are Herve, Rollin, Marisa, Kayla and Brendan. But it's like we all stepped into this like it was a regular occurrence. And that just makes it a fun process.

So some initial notables. Well, first off, Trista likes to hit. She's a hitter. I first noticed it when we did The 6th Trumpet. A slap on the head, a sock in the arm -- and not a playful tap, no -- SOCK in the arm. Okay, I'm a big guy. I can take it. The pain's motivation for me. I keep the tears within. But I am thinking some anger management training for her may be in order. I'm wondering if the First Light's liability insurance covers that. But kidding aside, T really fun to watch as she develops her character. She has some great comedic timing and will quite literally have us in stitches with her delivery.

Then there's Olivia. Liv is all over the map. She's all emotion. It takes awhile for her to connect with a character, but when she does, she nails it. Her getting there however, is hysterical. She doesn't seem to be in her head at all, rather just dives into the deep end and thrashes around until she starts to float. Does that make sense? I don't think you ever get the same performance out of her until show time -- and even then. I don't think I can even adequately describe her. You just have to experience it. What blows me away is for all she goes through with her acting, she becomes this powerful, explosive force in her writing. I always say, I write these little dog and pony shows, Liv writes true literature. She's amazing.

Brendan is one of our newbies. He is a friend of Cy Hutcherson who was amazing as Ginger in Cotton Alley, our last production. Cy had Brendan come audition for this show. He initially auditioned as Ace, the hot-headed riot squad cop. He was good. But we had him audition as Pete, the wounded riot squad cop, and MAN! He nailed it! He was able to bring warmth and humor to a character who is basically confessing his sins through the whole show. There's something almost Kramer-esque about him. And he's so intent on finding his motivation. Even when he's groaning and writhing in pain. Actors just crack me up. What's funny is that he's already the character. It's like the motivation's already there. Just be you!

And Rollin, another newbie. He's our Ace, our hot-head. I've got to say, even I was a little intimidated the first few rehearsals. Talk about intense! The dude is scary intense. And maintains it throughout the play! Yikes! You almost feel like, watch what you say -- he may go off on you. But then he makes these little comments, like side notes on what the other actors or their characters are doing that are really funny. I think he just needed to relax a bit, but last night he seemed like he was having a lot of fun. So then, when you have an intense guy having fun, the rest of us are able to breathe a little easier ourselves. So weird how that happens.

Just a fantastic cast! I'll get into the rest of them in my next blog. I hope to get some pics up too. I believe it'll be a great show, but the rehearsals are going to be a lot of fun! Until next time!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is truly therapy for you isn't it!!!